Wednesday, June 27, 2012

Girl in Blue written by Ann Rinaldi

Ever since a guest speaker from Mosby Heritage Association came to school, I have really been hooked on the Civil War or the War Between the States! I live very close to where the battle of Bull Run took place 150 years ago as well as the reenactment last summer. Girl in Blue is the 3rd book I have read about girls enlisting in the Army to fight during the Civil War.  The other 2 books were non fiction where this book is a fictional story based on an actual person from Michicgan who fought in the Civil War. This story was based on Sara Emma Edmonds.  I love American History, what is taught in schools doesn't due our history justice. Only bits ans pieces are taught. I can't say I ever heard about women enlisting in the Civil War or the Revloutionary War either for that matter.

This is definitely a historical fiction story, Sarah is a strong lady of character, escapes her father's abusive hands.  How does she hide her identity to join up! Read the book to find out. 

No comments:

Post a Comment