Tuesday, July 14, 2009

Monster written by Walter Dean Myers


I was curious about this book because it was brought up at a meeting that a parent had a problem with the book. I had to read it to find out what the concern was over the book. The book was published in 1999, it wasn't a newly published book.
Monster is about a young black teenager (16 yr old) named Steve. He is accused of participating in a 'get over' (a robbery of a drug store). Was Steve at the drugstore? Why did so many witnesses accuse him of participating in the robbery? Was Steve at the wrong place at the wrong time?
I liked the book, it had me scared for Steve? I can't imagine what it is like to be in a jail cell. I know from reading this book I don't want to be in a jail cell.
pg. 205 "I wish Jerry were here. Not in jail, but somehow with me. What would I say to him? Think about all the tomorrows of your life. Yes, that's what I would say. Think about all the tomorrows of your life.
When the lights went out, i think I heard someone crying in the darkness."
Jerry is Steve's younger brother.

No comments:

Post a Comment