Thursday, July 22, 2010

The Underneath written by Kathi Appelt




I needed tissues for this book. It broke my hear in the opening pages reading that someone would actually drop off a cat in the middle of now where, leaving it with no food and no family, alone and abandoned. It brought back memories I remember my Mother dropping off boxes of kittens out in the middle of now where on someones farm. Hoping they would be taken care of, I knew then it was cruel. But I guess my Mom didn't have another solution at the time.

The calico cat was brave and strong. She found Ranger a blood hound tied up at the tilting house and together they became a family. After a bit of time the calico cat gave birth to 2 kittens. They became a family. GarFace, Ranger's owner, lived in the tilting house, mean and angry person. This is one story running through the book, you need to read and follow the other stories that run through the book. The Underneath is the title, is the underneath safe?

This is another Virginia Reader's Choice book for the new school year (2010).

No comments:

Post a Comment