Sunday, June 6, 2010

Sparks written by Graham McNamee


This book brought tears to me and my heart ached. I somehow understood better what it was like to be in a Special Class (needs), myon was placed in a special education class, he never spoke about anyone harassing him or as others say teasing! This book opened my eyes and I know I have a better understanding about his frustrations in life.



Last year Todd was the smartest kid in Special Needs; this year, he was promoted to the regular fifth-grade class, where they call him “Retardo” and “Braindead.” He’s really trying to keep up, but he’s in danger of being sent back to Needs. Then a history project about the pygmy More...Ota Benga inspires Todd to use his secret strength–imagination.

Being promoted also meant Todd had to leave his pals behind in Special Needs, even his best friend, Eva. Why can’t Eva understand that they can’t be friends anymore? Why can’t he stop missing her? What’s the right answer to that?

No comments:

Post a Comment