Saturday, June 12, 2010

Little Audrey written by Ruth White


This is a Virginia Readers Choice book for 2010-2011

I gave my book club members a chance to read a few of the new books for next school year. I wanted to get their opinions before I had a chance to read them. Today I read Little Audrey, I had too one of my students have been weekly me if I read the book, so when Monday comes I can tell her I read the book.

I used to live in southwest Virginia for approximately 5 years. I taught in Wise County, I tried to locate Jewell Valley but I wasn't able to locate this area on the internet. This story is told by the oldest sister, Audrey.This story just gives a short glimpse into Audrey's life, living in a company camp, shopping at the company store, not having enough to eat and a Mom not always 'there' and a Dad that drank. This kind of life wasn't much different for families working the mines just a few years ago. This story brings back memories of life in Wise County. A good story, true to life in a coal company camp.

No comments:

Post a Comment