Thursday, September 23, 2010

Artichoke's Heart written by Suzanne Supplee


Artichoke's Heart, I waited to read this book especially after a student said it was about a 'fat' girl. I am by no means a size 2 never have been and right now I dont think it would fit my life style. I am not happy with my weight but I am comfortable at where I am.

The heroine in this story is Rose. Rose weighs less then 200 lbs and the kids at her school call her all sorts of names but especially artichoke because back in middle school her mom got her a green jacket that when she wore the jacket she looked like a 'green' artichoke in it. So forever now Rose has been called many fat girl names. As the book progresses, Rose realizes that with perseverance and a new good friend Kay-Kay that she can lose the weight her Mother and Aunt have been nagging at her to lose. But Rose is also recognized by another student at school. He smiles at her and even talks to her. He is one of the school's jocks. Play many sports but likes Rose. Kyle and Rose begin to date. Rose has a boyfriend, never thought she would have a boyfriend but she does.

As the story progresses we find out that her Mom has a form of cancer. Rose and her mom weren't close but the illness brings them closer so they can share lifes up and downs.


No tissues needed for this book but at times there was that possibility. Overall a good story, another book I wish was written many years ago for myself to read. In some ways a Rose is inside me.

No comments:

Post a Comment