Sunday, October 11, 2009

Ghosts of War written by Ryan Smithson


This is a biography written by Ryan Smithson. I have read other Iraqi war books by Phil Kiver. Kiver's thoughts on the Iraq war is very different then Ryan's view of the war. Kiver was an embedded reporter which isn't the same as being a soldier in the middle of the war. Kiver lived the life as if the war was a vacation with swimming pools, beds to sleep on, washing machines to do laundry, etc. Not for Ryan. He begins his bio from enlisting , basic training (red, white and blue) and more. At this moment I am into Part II White Phase. Find the book read it, feel the life of US soldier in Iraq.

I have completed reding this book, find the book and read it.
I needed to share this book with someone and this was the first place I thought of. Many of you know that about 2 years ago my son joined the Army. He has never been able to tell me what happened from beginning to now. I know it had to have been good and bad times, scary times and laughable times. But he really doesn’t talk about the military. Perhaps one day he well. But I had to share this book. I have just finished reading it. I know from reading this book it was like therapy for the writer but it made me cry and proud and thankful for the USA military. A small passage from the book is why I agree this Iraq war had to take place. pg. 240: "Do you appreciate your freedom so much that you're willing to fight for it?" "Yes" Okay he says" "Do you appreciate your freedom so much that you're willing to fight for the freedom of others?" That is why we went into Iraq not looking for weapons or take their oil but to give freedom to those who don't have it. We need to remember why we have our Freedoms. We fought for them from England in the 1770's. Weapons of mass destruction weren’t a chemical or weapons but the dictator was the weapon of mass destruction! He took what was to be given to every human because they are given naturally and unconditionally. Please read the book, see why it is necessary to be in Iraq and Afghanistan. What or Who is the weapon of mass destruction? This is the best book I have read this year, I bought this book for my school library but something about this book drew me to read it, I read it, I hope it chased away the ghosts for Ryan. It made me realize the sacrifice he and others made so others may know the Freedoms we enjoy every day. So many fight to remove soldiers from Iraq and Afghanistan, we fight so others can have the Freedoms we so much enjoy every day of our lives.

No comments:

Post a Comment