Monday, January 2, 2012

The War Within by Carol Matas



I took this book from the library shelves of my school library. Not really certain why except to say it is a historical novel about the Civil War. I picked this book over the past week, as I was reading this book I was very surprised to find out this is more then about the war between the states or the Civil War. I know that during my US History classes i was taught about the internment of the Japanese Americans during WWII but I don't remember ever being taught about how the Jews in the south were treated by Rule 11 and Grant. It took President Lincoln to overturn Rule 11 that allowed the Jews to return to their homes and businesses in Mississippi. This is definitely missing from our history books.



The Union troops were fighting to 'free' the slaves but in turn it was the North imprisoning the Jews because they thought they were violating trade regulations. So much is missing from our US history books.

No comments:

Post a Comment