Sunday, May 16, 2010

The Woman Warrior written by Maxine Hong Kingston

When I picked this book up to read, it was because my son needed assistance with a class assignment. So I dreaded reading the book. I read for pleasure not because I have to and there are genres I don't like to read.
This book I really did enjoy. First it is about women in China; how they are treated, what their value is in the Chinese culture and coming to America. Each of the 5 chapters are related but probably could stand alone. No Name Woman, she commits suicide because she is pregnant with another man's child. No Name was shunned by family because of her pregnancy. Shaman, Brave Orchid trains as a midwife (doctor), she is strong and rids the dorm of 'ghosts'. White Tigers is the telling of Mulan (Disney film). The bravery of her to fight the Warlords. At the Western Palace, Brave Orchid is in America. She and her family own a laundry business she brings her sister over from China, Moon Orchid. Moon Orchid is frail not as strong as Brave Orchid. Its sad Brave orchid has a husband in the States but he doesn't recognize her, wont accept her as his wife. He wants her to go away, he has new life and new wife. Moon Orchid cant accept her fate and needs to be committed to a home. The final chapter A Song for a Barbarian Reed Pipe, this has the daughter's skin near the tongue cut so she wont get tongue tied. The daughter picks on a shy Chinese girl because she doesn't speak.

I enjoyed the book, I had read a book like this in along time. I am glad I did.

No comments:

Post a Comment