Saturday, March 7, 2009

Uglies- Scott Westerfeld


Let me say I am a middle school librarian. I read alot, and I do mean alot. I have read so many books lately because that is the only way I can help a student find a book they would want to read. I can't recommend a book that I haven't read but read only the reviews from a magazine or a book selling web site.

I have just completed reading Uglies. I didn't want to read it because it is categorized as a science fiction, but so many of my students are reading it. At first I thought it would be a girls only book but I think I could recommend this book to guys as well. It may begin as a story with only girls as the characters but it does bring guys into the story. It is a sci-fi but not a Star Wars sci-fi.

So the uglies are told they are ugly and to become 'pretty' they need to wait for their 16th birthday. On their 16th birthday they are made 'pretty'. But what happens when you don't want to be a 'pretty'. This 1st book in the series has you following Tally and Shay as they develop their friendship and make decisions about being 'pretty' or not. Learn what the Smoke community is and the town of Rusties. Becoming Pretty means what? Is it just a change of facial features or is there more to the operation?

Its a good read, paced nicely, you can put the book down and pick it up easily, try it, I have learned to like this sci-fi book. I knew I was going to finish the book over the weekend and brought home 'Pretties' to keep up with Tally and Shay.

No comments:

Post a Comment